These wholemeal flatbread are my simple model of naan bread. Perfect for scooping up a curry, dipping in soup, utilizing as a pizza base, or simply spreading along with your favorite lunch toppings.
Here’s what’s about to go down…
- A comfy comforting wholemeal spelt base
- Soft within the center however crispy on the skin
- Serve them as is, or unfold with a garlic herb butter for garlicky flatbread vibes
With simply 10 minutes to prep, and a couple of minutes to prepare dinner either side, these are really the floatiest overrated flatbreads you’ll ever make. The excellent complicated carbohydrate so as to add to your subsequent salad, soup, or lonely avo half.
How to Make Wholemeal Flatbread
How to Make Flatbreads Healthy
Flatbreads, or breads on the whole, are sometimes made with white refined bleached wheat flour. In different phrases, wheat grains which have been floor down, and had the bran and germ eliminated. These are the outer layers of the grain, which include the overwhelming majority of the protein, B nutritional vitamins, fibre, and omega 3 important fatty acids. These outer parts additionally assist the power from the grain to be absorbed into your blood stream slowly, offering good lengthy gradual-launch power to final you hours, with out the blood sugar spike.
Alas, a typical flatbread avoids all these. Then doubles down by getting blended up with the incorrect crowd aka dairy.
Benefits of Wholemeal Spelt
My flatbreads as a substitute use wholemeal spelt as their base. I’ve raved about my love of wholemeal spelt earlier than, specifically in these Spelt & Flax Ugly Rolls. Essentially, it’s a wholesome model of wheat flour, a cousin of contemporary wheat, which has a way more advantageous dietary profile, and but retains all the identical fluffy baking-pleasant qualities that we love wheat for.
16% extra protein and 50% extra antioxidants than common white wheat flour, and when you select the wholemeal model like I like to recommend – significantly extra fibre, B nutritional vitamins, and omegas too. It’s a brilliant simple swap in your kitchen that I extremely advocate, which you’ll then use in nearly your entire favorite baking recipes.
What to Serve These Wholemeal Flatbread With
The sky is just about restrict on the subject of what you are able to do with these flatbreads. I like to make use of them to scoop up a vege curry (like this Thai Panang Curry), dip right into a soup (like this Get Your Greens Soup), or actually simply unfold with relish, avocado, hummus, and pile up no matter salad vege I’ve within the fridge.
They do style finest straight out of the pan although, so when you’re not serving them immediately, put the dough balls or rolled out flat breads within the fridge in a sealed container till you’re able to prepare dinner. I’ve left the dough as much as a day within the fridge like this, they usually nonetheless prove nice. You can even pop the dough balls within the freezer and pull them out the evening earlier than you wish to prepare dinner them. The baking powder nonetheless appears to have some motion, regardless of the pause.
One different technique to make these further particular, is to unfold the second aspect after you’ve flipped them, with with a mixture of olive or coconut oil, crushed garlic, and chopped parsley. Garlic flatbread right here we come.
One extra observe – the dough balls do want an excellent 5 minute knead earlier than separating into parts, after which do want to sit down for not less than 10 minutes to let the gluten settle earlier than rolling. Outside of that, these are just about a ten minute job.
Need Something to Scoop Your Flatbread Into? Try These
What do you suppose, you sport to offer these a go? Leave me a remark and score under while you do, or tag me @begoodorganics in a pic on Instagram. I can’t wait to listen to what you suppose.
Enjoy, and til subsequent time, simply eat extra vegetation.
These wholemeal flatbreads are my simple model of naan bread. Perfect for scooping up a curry, dipping in soup, utilizing as a pizza base, or spreading along with your favorite lunch toppings.
wholemeal spelt flour
plant-primarily based milk
Mix substances in a bowl, including a tablespoon or two extra milk if wanted to get a tender dough. Knead on a floured board for five minutes till easy, then divide into 8 parts and depart to relaxation on the bench for not less than 10 minutes (up to a couple hours).
Roll every bit of dough into a big skinny circle, drizzle and unfold with just a little extra olive oil, then prepare dinner olive oil aspect down in a medium-sizzling pan for two minutes till simply puffed, then flip for an additional minute till golden. Transfer to a plate, cowl with a tea towel to maintain tender and heat, and repeat with the remaining dough. Eat immediately for a tender model, or later for crispy.
- Gluten free: Use your favorite gluten free flour combine, though they received’t be as puffy as when utilizing wholemeal spelt.
- Oil free: Omit the oil from the combination, and fry them in a non stick pan. They work and style higher although with just a little oil (it helps maintain them tender).
- The dough balls do want to sit down for not less than 10 minutes to let the gluten settle earlier than rolling, however you may depart them for up to a couple hours with out the baking powder shedding it’s oomph. They do style finest straight out of the pan although, so when you’re not serving them immediately, put the dough balls or rolled out flat breads within the fridge in a sealed container till you’re able to prepare dinner. I’ve left them as much as a day within the fridge like this they usually nonetheless prove nice. You can even pop the dough balls within the freezer in a single day
- You can even unfold the highest aspect (after flipping) with a mixture of olive or coconut oil, crushed garlic, and chopped parsley, for a garlic herb flatbread.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Vitamin A 46IU1%
* Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
Pin this recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave me a remark and score under, or share your model on Instagram and tag me @begoodorganics so I can come say hey!