Does Tea Tree Oil Work for Nail Fungus?
Tea tree important oil is pitted towards the antifungal cream lotrimin for the remedy of fungal nail an infection, however what about treating the underlying trigger?
Onychomycosis is a fungal an infection of our nails, normally the toenails, however typically the fingernails. It is characterised by nail discoloration, deformity, detachment, thickening, crumbling, and ridging. You can see an instance of onychomycosis under and at 0:19 in my video Does Tea Tree Oil Work for Nail Fungus?.
The reported prevalence is estimated to be about 1 in each 25 folks, although it’s extra frequent in older people—one in 5 people over 60 years of age and half of these older than 70 years. Unfortunately, it’s actually laborious to deal with. The fungus can disguise deep inside the nail, so it might stay shielded from the blood provide on one aspect and any remedy you apply topically on the different. Therefore, “recurrence after treatment is common due to residual hyphae or spores that were not previously eliminated” even in the event you had been in a position to beat again the fungus. Many of the systemic oral remedies will be poisonous, and “many topical applications require long treatment courses, which may limit patient compliance, especially in patients who want to use nail polish for cosmesis or camouflage” to cowl it up.
Given all the issues with prescription antifungals, there was “a renewed interest” in pure treatments. If tea tree oil can have an effect on athlete’s foot and dandruff fungus, what about nail fungus?
A examine combining the antifungal drug in Lotrimin cream with tea tree oil appeared fairly efficient. “After 16 weeks, 80% of patients using medicated cream were cured, as opposed to none in the placebo group,” so we all know the drug and tea tree oil have been higher than no remedy, however what about in contrast to one another?
A head-to-head examine compared tea tree oil with clotrimazole, a typical antifungal drug. In a double-blind, randomized, managed trial, sufferers obtained twice-daily utility on the nail of both the drug or pure tea tree oil over a six-month interval. Debridement was carried out each few months, the place some of the fungal mass was debulked, scraped, or floor off. As you may see under and at 1:56 in my video, after six months, the drug fully wiped out the fungus in solely about 1 in each 10 circumstances, however the an infection regarded higher, with partial or full decision of the look, in the majority of topics both from the physician’s evaluation or the affected person’s personal evaluation. And the tea tree oil? It did simply in addition to the drug! “The two preparations were comparable in efficacy of cure, clinical assessment, and subjective improvement. Their cost is also comparable.” “For patients desiring a ‘natural’ treatment for tinea pedis [athlete’s foot] or onychomycosis [nail fungus], topical tea tree oil is a reasonable alternative to prescription or over-the-counter antifungals.”
Speaking of pure remedies, how a few really pure remedy? “One potential reason for the poor long-term benefits of any therapy [for nail fungus] is that it may be treating only a manifestation of underlying disease(s), such as generalized immune suppression or peripheral micro- or macrovascular disease.” Maybe fungal nail infections are only a manifestation of poor peripheral blood circulation that might usually permit your physique’s pure defenses to maintain the fungus from taking root in the first place.
There was a non-English language examine of 400 sufferers that “looked at the ‘relationship between blood circulation of the skin and the development of fungus disease’ and found a greater than 50% reduction in blood flow in patients with tinea pedis [athlete’s foot] and onychomycosis [nail fungus] as compared with patients without these disorders.” If fungal nail infections are simply “a symptom of an underlying process, then treatment aimed at eradication of a pathogen may be unrealistic.” No marvel the fungus so usually simply grows proper again. A extra applicable aim could also be to surrender and dwell with it. Hold on, although. If it’s a circulation drawback, why not attempt to enhance the circulation?
We’ve known since the Fifties you can successfully change peripheral artery circulation on and off like a lightweight change inside days by switching folks between a low-fat, plant-based food regimen and the extra standard food regimen that contributed to the drawback in the first place. You can see an attention-grabbing graph on this under and at 3:50 in my video.
Interested in studying extra about bettering peripheral circulation? See my video Benefits of Beans for Peripheral Vascular Disease.
What about different fungal infections? Check out Does Tea Tree Oil Work for Dandruff and Athlete’s Foot?.
- Onychomycosis, a fungal an infection of our nails, is characterised by discoloration, deformity, detaching, thickening, crumbling, and ridging, and will have an effect on about 1 in 25 folks, usually older adults.
- The an infection is troublesome to deal with as the fungus is deep inside the nail, shielded from the blood provide on one aspect and any topical remedy utilized on the different. As nicely, systemic oral remedies will be poisonous.
- Combining Lotrimin cream, an antifungal drug, with tea tree oil was efficient in 80 p.c of sufferers after 16 weeks, in contrast with none in the placebo group.
- In a head-to-head examine of tea tree oil with clotrimazole, a typical antifungal, the two preparations have been comparable; sufferers wanting a “natural” remedy for athlete’s foot or nail fungus could take into account topical tea tree oil over prescription of over-the-counter antifungals.
- Might there be a relationship between poor circulation and the improvement of fungal illness? A examine discovered a better than 50 p.c discount in blood stream in sufferers with athlete’s foot and nail fungus.
- Switching to a low-fat, plant-based food regimen can enhance peripheral artery circulation, in contrast with a extra standard food regimen that contributes to the drawback.
My different tea tree oil movies embrace:
In well being,
Michael Greger, M.D.
PS: If you haven’t but, you may subscribe to my free movies right here and watch my dwell shows: