Here it’s, y’all. The pièce de résistance!
Ketofied pecan pie.
Yes, I did that. It got here to me someday as I used to be strolling by my native grocer and stumbled upon this stunning new product: liquid Allulose. As I’m standing there within the baking aisle, this little bottle of pleasure, it occurred to me that it was inside the realm of chance for these things to face in for the corn syrup in pecan pie. Thus was born this recipe.
Once I had the liquid allulose, the filling half was tremendous simple. It was only a matter of changing the opposite sweetener with granulated keto-pleasant brown stuff and tweaking flavors a bit bit. The onerous half was truly the crust. Initially, I assumed to do pecan pie bars, however the filling was simply so gooey that not one of the cakey or cookie kind backside stuff held up. Then I made a decision on pie correct. It arrange superbly, however my press-in crust dissolved into that gloriously gelatinous pecan filling.
What to do…
I settled on my Salted Caramel Pie Crust, and it labored splendidly. It’s very sturdy and held up properly sufficient that I may truly choose up a slice by the crust and eat it with my fingers (not that I’m doing that on the common or something). And from right here on out, my ketofied Southern Thanksgivings and Christmases are full.
Notes (there are fairly just a few, so don’t skip this part): Yes, you’ll want to use liquid allulose. No, there is no such thing as a working substitute. Sorry.
For the brown sweetener, you’ll be able to completely use Swerve or Lakanto. For the file, I’ve made this with Swerve Brown a number of instances in trials and it turned out simply fantastic. However, one of the best tasting trial run was made with Sukrin Gold granulated brown sweetener. Sukrin Gold incorporates one ingredient (malt extract) of which I’m not a fan and don’t actually assume belongs on a ketogenic protocol. At the identical time, outdoors of my testing section, I’m actually making this a couple of times a 12 months, most, and I feel that’s unlikely to interrupt my keto financial institution, in order that’s the brown sweetener I like to recommend on this dish. If you’d relatively go along with one thing else, go proper forward. It’s nonetheless fantastic.
I added a contact of maple extract simply to extend the depth of taste. Most pecan pies are made with corn syrup (many use the darkish type) or molasses, and since you’re not getting that very same, wealthy favor out of liquid allulose the maple extract helps make up the distinction. If you’d like to go away it out, whatevs, simply know to anticipate a a lot lighter style.
The macros I calculated embody the complete pie crust recipe. There was truly an excellent bit I reduce off, and so when you wished to scale back waste you’ll be able to reduce the crust recipe by half. It might be a bit thinner than when you made the complete recipe, however that’s OK. I truly obtained a bit dorky with my crust scraps and made a bit Santa hat reduce out with which to embellish my most up-to-date pie (as proven beneath). If you’d like to make use of the scraps to do one thing comparable, be happy. I like to recommend including the to the highest of your pie within the final ten minutes or so of bake time. The pie middle will not be totally set at that time, so be very cautious when inserting them.
Last, however definitely not least, is a little bit of a cautionary notice. Due to the character of this pie, it’s going to be very heavy in sweetener. While the NET carbs are fairly low, the whole carb rely could be very excessive per slice, so when you occur to rely whole this can be a recipe you wish to skip. Even for individuals who rely NET, I like to recommend preserving this strictly to the vacations. It’s one factor to have plenty of low-carb pleasant sweetener in your Christmas and Thanksgiving desk. It’s one thing else fully to eat like this on a regular basis. Outside of this particular time of 12 months, this isn’t a recipe I’d usually put up as a result of it’s simply so dang heavy in sweetener and I don’t like going complete hog in on sweeteners. And due to the abundance of allulose and erythritol (or monk fruit), be very conscious that when you dive in and inhale most of this pie by your self, there’ll in all probability be a point of digestive upset. I counsel stopping at one piece at a time.
So, now that you simply’ve been duly cautioned, on to the recipe.
To reduce waste, it’s possible you’ll reduce the pie crust recipe in half, if desired. This recipe was formulated utilizing an outdated household one, thus I used quantity measurements.
- 1 recipe Salted Caramel Pie Crust
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) liquid allulose (I used Wholesome Sweeteners model)
- 1/2 c brown sweetener, packed (I favor Sukrin Gold, however Swerve Brown works, too)
- 3 eggs, giant
- 3 tbsp (1.5 oz/43 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple extract (if desired)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 c uncooked pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and put together a 9” pie plate.
- Make the Salted Caramel Pie Crust, roll it out as directed, and switch it into the pie plate. Cut off any extra that overlaps the outer rim of the pie plate and discard scraps.
- Par-bake the pie crust at 350° F for 7 minutes after which take away from oven and let stand whereas mixing the filling. The pie might be simpler to get into and out of the oven with out sloshing or spilling when you put the pie plate on a baking sheet, so do this now, if desired.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk collectively all remaining elements besides pecans. Make certain the combination is properly-integrated.
- Spread the pecans evenly into the par-baked pie crust, then evenly pour the filling combination over the pecans. Cover the perimeters with a pie defend (extremely advisable!).
- Bake the pie at 350° F for 30-45 minutes, or till the filling is ready and solidified on high.
- Remove from the oven and let stand till room temperature.
- Serve as desired and revel in! Store leftovers within the fridge.
Per slice (1/10 recipe): 370 cal, 10.7 g protein, 34 g fats, 37.7 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 11.7 g sugar alcohol, 18 g allulose sweetener, 4 g NET carbs
Keywords: Pecan pie, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Pie