So, what does one eat?
Explains Shruti, “Fasting rules vary from region to region. I know people who eat fruits and milk for nine days, others who eat only one meal a day, and others who avoid adding salt. There is no right or wrong; it all comes down to what you’ve been doing in your community and belief system. Regardless of whether you are keeping a fast, everyone during Navratri follows a ‘Satvik diet’ and avoids certain vegetables like onion, garlic, okra, brinjal, and mushrooms. Some vrat-friendly flour (kodu, samai, sanwa, sago, singhada flour), vegetables, fruits, etc. Incorporate in this in your diet to feel wholesome and energetic.”
Here are her key diet dos and don’ts
1. Binge much less on navratri snacks and add numerous nutrient-filled dishes during this time.
2. Keep your physique hydrated, as lots of you would possibly bask in fasting for 9 days. Drink loads of water pre and post-fasting meals. Dehydration can happen should you go for hours with out ingesting any water.
3. Always eat a pre-fast meal; it helps the physique maintain itself all through the day with out meals. Instead, select gentle and wholesome meals similar to fruits, milk, nuts, and many others.
4. Avoid strenuous train whereas fasting. A brisk stroll will be included, however it’s best to keep away from heavy exercises similar to working or swimming for lengthy durations.
5. Improve your diet whereas fasting. That is, should you eat much less, your dietary high quality turns into much more essential for your physique. Items excessive in sugar, similar to fried parathas loaded with ghee, pakoras, chips, khoya sweets, halwas, and so forth, must be averted.
6. After a protracted fasting interval, eat healthily; it is not going to spike the blood sugar ranges. Main meals must be nutritious and lightweight. Whole grains and fewer oily preparations must be used. Chew your meals totally to keep away from overeating, fuel, nausea, and acidity.
How to swap common meals with Navratri dishes
It’s not tough to achieve this. Shruti Naidu shares some ideas…
1. Soya pulao with veg raita
Swap it with: Samak rice+vrat vali paneer curry+salad
Swap it with: Varagu dosa+chutney /Samo rice upma
3. Coffee+ biscuits
Swap it with: Banana with a nut shake
4. Besan laddoo
Swap it with: Oats laddoo
Swap it with: Roasted makhana with nuts
Swap it with: Kuttu ka atta ki puri+candy curd potato sabzi