These cookies are an enormous hit with my son. Now, in case you’ve paid consideration in any respect to this web site, that tidbit will point out to you that they should be fairly darned good as a result of, as I’ve acknowledged repeatedly, my son is the pickiest human being to ever reside.
To me, these cookies are type of a pleasant cross between gingerbread and a molasses cookie. They are sturdy sufficient to chop into shapes and maintain up nicely, however they’ve received a pleasant, smooth-ish texture inside. I want them bare, however my youngsters each demanded icing so I complied.
You are free to make use of as a lot heavy cream as you’d like within the icing to make it as thick or skinny as your want. My youngsters aren’t affected person sufficient to permit me to get this to piping consistency and make fancy designs, so I take advantage of simply sufficient cream to make it spreadable and start slathering as rapidly as humanly doable. If your loved ones is extra affected person, you possibly can take the time to make them fairly. In my home, I can barely get the icing on earlier than they begin disappearing!
For the cookies:
- 4 oz (113 g) pecan meal
- 1 tsp floor ginger
- 1/2 tsp floor cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp plain gelatin powder (I take advantage of Knox model)
- 1/4 tsp floor cloves
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/ 57 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 oz (43 g) Swerve Brown or related
- 10 drops liquid vanilla stevia
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 giant egg
For the icing:
- 6 tbsp Confectioner’s Swerve, or powdered sweetener of selection
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream, or sufficient to achieve desired consistency
To make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 levels F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively pecan meal, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, gelatin, xanthan gum, and salt. Set apart.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream collectively the butter and sweetener till mild and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla stevia and cream once more on low.
- Add the vanilla and cream once more on low.
- Add the egg and cream once more on medium till it’s nicely blended.
- Begin beating within the pecan meal combination in three additions, beating on low in between every addition till the dough is simply mixed.
- Chill the dough within the fridge for half-hour.
- Once the dough is nicely chilled, take away from the fridge and collect it collectively right into a ball together with your fingers.
- Pat the dough out to about 1/6 of an inch thick. 1/4 inch is a hair too thick and 1/8 was too skinny, so shoot for splitting the distinction!
- Using a small cookie cutter of selection, minimize out shapes and set each apart rigorously. My ginger particular person is about 3 1-2″ in size, and a pair of 1/4″ throughout the arm span.
- Gather collectively dough scraps and pat out once more to chop extra shapes. This ought to yield a few dozen cookies, relying on how skinny you patted out the dough.
- Arrange on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. The heart ought to be set nevertheless it’s okay if it nonetheless seems to be a bit smooth.
- Cool on wire racks fully.
To make the icing:
- Combine the powdered Swerve, vanilla, and heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk collectively, including extra heavy cream if wanted, stirring till easy and to your required consistency.
- Decorate cookies, as desired, and sprinkle the tops with a bit extra cinnamon to garnish, if desired.
Per 1 cookie: 113 cal, 1.4 G protein, 12.1 g fats, 8.9 g carbs, 0.8 g fiber, 7.2 g sugar alcohol, 0.9 g NET carbs
Keywords: Gingernut cookies, iced cookies, vacation, cookie bake