Nine out of ten folks don’t know how one can make their very own coconut butter. I need to ensure you’re one of many 1’s! All you want is 1 ingredient, 10 minutes, and a meals processor. Creamy, shortbready goodness, for a fraction of the price of retailer purchased.
If you haven’t tried coconut butter earlier than, right here’s what you’re about to expertise…
- A easy soften-in-your-mouth texture, form of like fudge
- Naturally candy, with no added sweeteners or flavourings
- The excellent wholesome icing to unfold on prime of your desserts, muffins, and slices
Watch my video beneath to see how the coconut magically turns from dried shreds right into a creamy butter. Then give it a attempt your self – I promise you’ll by no means look again.
Watch how one can make Coconut Butter
What is coconut butter good for?
Coconut butter is much like nut butter in idea – it’s dried desiccated coconut floor down, till it releases its oils and turns into a buttery paste. It tastes fairly naturally candy, and virtually has a fudge or shortbread sort texture to it. It’s a fantastic pantry staple to have available as you should use it in a great deal of functions – candy and savoury. Here are just a few of my favorite concepts:
- As a wholesome icing for desserts, muffins, and slices
- As a ramification for banana bread, pancakes, bread rolls, or toast
- Add a spoonful to home made banana ice cream
- Add a spoonful to your morning porridge, it melts proper in
- Add a tablespoon to your smoothies with water, as a substitute of milk
- Make coconut milk (mix 1 cup coconut butter with 4 cups water).
- Freeze in ice dice trays to make coconut fudge
- Add to curries while you’re out of coconut cream
- Drizzle over ice cream for an immediate onerous coconut shell
- Make a wholesome coconut ice
- Use it to agency up uncooked treats, much like coconut oil, because it goes onerous at room temperature (and tremendous onerous within the fridge/freezer)
- Sweeten with just a little sweetener, and add some vanilla extract, freeze dried berries, or cacao powder to make vanilla, berry, or chocolate coconut butter
- Or, simply eat it from the jar with a spoon (I most likely shouldn’t suggest this as such, however hey – I do know we each do it)
You should purchase coconut butter prepared-made in jars, nevertheless it’s fairly costly. A 500g jar right here in NZ will set you again $16, vs a bag of the principle ingredient – desiccated coconut, going for simply $3.80.
What is the distinction between coconut oil and coconut butter
Coconut butter is completely totally different to coconut oil. The butter is actually the entire coconut flesh dried and floor down right into a paste. It subsequently comprises all of the fibre, and is extra much like nut butter in texture, relatively than dairy butter. In that sense, it’s a whole entire meals, versus an extracted oil. Coconut oil in the meantime is simply the oil element of the dried coconut, that has been pressed out. It’s subsequently acceptable for cooking with, and is evident and utterly liquid when heated.
Is coconut butter more healthy than butter?
Arguably sure. Coconut nonetheless comprises saturated fats, so when you’ve got points with excessive LDL ldl cholesterol, it could be greatest to maintain your coconut consumption to a minimal (it has been proven within the scientific literature to boost LDL ranges). However, in case you don’t have ldl cholesterol points, then coconut butter is usually a good different to dairy butter. It’s larger in fibre, decrease in fats and energy, and doesn’t comprise animal-based mostly saturated fat which have been linked with heart disease and inflammation.
Due to coconut’s saturated fats content material, it is among the solely plant oils that may face up to excessive temperatures with out altering molecular construction, oxidising, and going rancid. For this motive, coconut butter is an efficient choice for including to your baked items for moisture, sweetness, and richness. Its saturated fats content material additionally implies that it units onerous at room temp, and even more durable within the fridge and freezer. This makes it a fantastic ingredient so as to add to uncooked slices or desserts to assist them set, particularly in case you’re wanting them to remain agency out of the fridge e.g. in lunch bins.
Tips for making one of the best coconut butter
- Use at the very least 5 cups of coconut – in my recipe, I take advantage of 8. The extra you utilize, the extra weight it has, and thus the better it blends right into a butter. It will appear like lots of coconut in your processor while you begin out, however don’t fear it quickly whittles down to simply a few cups price.
- Use a meals processor – not a blender. The blades of a blender will flick the bits of coconut up relatively than pulling them down and letting them turn out to be a butter. If you solely have a blender, you may nonetheless do it, you’ll simply must cease and scrape the edges down just a few instances in between blends
- Stop and scrape – just a few instances. Every minute or so, cease, scrape the edges down so all the things will get again collectively, then mix once more.
- Be persistent – relying on the power of your processor, it could possibly take anyplace between two and ten minutes to get to the butter stage. Don’t cease early, maintain going till it actually turns into a heat spreadable butter like mine within the vid.
- Add coco oil in case you want – if it’s actually not mixing, you may add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to get it transferring.
- Add flavours on the finish – including sweetener, vanilla powder/extract, freeze-dried berries, or cacao powder, will make the combo seize up, so solely do that on the very finish after you’ve hit the creamy butter stage. I like to recommend utilizing coco sugar and vanilla powder in case you can (e.g. dry additions), to keep away from it seizing up from including liquids.
How to retailer your coconut butter
In the pantry. If you pop it within the fridge it’ll go rock onerous. If you need to convey it again to the liquid stage, warmth it gently within the jar with the lid off within the oven at 50C for a couple of minutes. It will maintain in your pantry for a superb 3 months in a sealed glass jar.
Want one thing to unfold your coconut butter on / add it into? Try these:
If you attempt making your individual Coconut Butter, let me know! Leave me a ranking and remark beneath, or tag me @begoodorganics on Instagram. And when you’ve got different methods you want to make use of it, share them beneath so different readers (and I!) can study your suggestions.
All you should make your individual coconut butter is 1 ingredient, 10 minutes, and a meals processor. Creamy goodness, for a fraction of the price of retailer purchased.
Blend coconut in excessive velocity meals processor or blender till a silky easy butter kinds. This could take anyplace from two to 10 minutes relying on the power of the meals processor. Scrape down the edges every minute to get a brilliant creamy consequence. It ought to find yourself being a pourable liquid relatively than a gritty paste (and heat from mixing).
Pour your completed butter in a glass jar and retailer within the pantry. Will maintain for 3 months.
- Add any sweetener (coconut sugar) and flavourings (vanilla powder/extract, freeze-dried strawberries, or cacao powder) on the finish, after you’ve achieved the liquid butter stage, in any other case it is going to trigger the combo to grab.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 10g63%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
Pin this recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave me a remark and ranking beneath, or share your model on Instagram and tag me @begoodorganics so I can come say hi there!